Wednesday 4 April 2012

The Alchemists of Sound


This was scanned, or maybe photographed (I'll be honest, I've not asked) from the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine. It's the CD cover of a Doctor Who audio drama and if you squint you can see what might just be my name listed as the author. I've not read the accompanying text yet, snow means we've had no post so my copy's not here.

Actually the CD doesn't exist yet, and if you squint more you can see the guest cast appears to be the same as that for a story set some years after it. That's not a clue to the story, it's a clue that that part of the cover art hasn't been finalised yet! I'll tell you who the guest actor really is later, probably next month.

The story is set both in Germany in the 1930s and before the first televised Doctor Who story. The reason for the latter flows from the former. Producer David Richardson suggested putting the Doctor's granddaughter Susan in that historical setting, and I felt it would be a mistake to put her there with her TV companions, Ian and Barbara. It's a period they'd know well and there was a danger they'd end up explaining it all to the Doctor and Susan, potentially unbalancing the drama and making the story more about them than our featured star.

So there we are, this is what I was writing in January, it's set pre-Quinnis and post-Frayed if you've come across those other bits of pre-series set Who and that's probably all you need to know until it eventually comes out apart from that I'm very excited.
When we're closer to the actual release date I'll drop in links to order it and all that, but that's all a very long way off still...

No comments: